Wednesday, October 5, 2011

But Ina made it look so good..

I don't know why I felt this was blog-worthy, but something compels me. And since I've already written about bread, why not again?

Last night I stopped by the overpriced grocery store in my neighborhood to pick up a couple of things. Nine dollars later I ended up with three peaches and a package of pumpernickel bread. Heinously overpriced.

What was meant to be a delightful little sandwich of black bread, radish, and butter turned into me choking down my food. Goddamnit, I just spent $6 on this dumb bread and I can’t throw it away. I had to Google it to find out how to disguise it as edible. This girl loves it, apparently.

Who knew that rye bread was so complicated? Of course I manage to buy bread that has no flour, but rather grains that are steamed and not baked. That sounds terrible, doesn’t it? I like to tear my crusty, chewy bread; not catch chunks of it as it crumbles in my hand. But you know, the smell of balsamic vinegar grossed me out, and oysters and I didn’t get along—so you never know. You might find a tray of canapés served atop some Westphalian Pumpernickel at my next cocktail party.

No comments:

Post a Comment